The kitchen just got flooded. I hate our washer and dryer combination. First, it’s so tiny that we can only fit few t-shirts or a couple of jeans. Second, because it’s a washer/dryer, it takes up to three hours to finish a load, we are ALWAYS doing laundry. It was the same in the last apartment in Argentina, but because we had a maid… I didn’t have to deal with it much. And on top of that, the dryer doesn’t have a connection to let the water out, you have to be constantly emptying the water. I didn’t close the water-lid properly then the kitchen got flooded.
As I have been thinking while moping the kitchen for over half an hour. I found new inspiration and motivation to learn Danish. One of the requirements to have an “au pair” is that at least one person in the family has to speak Danish. Having an au pair is relatively cheap, around $500 a month, plus boarding. The cleaning lady charges us $19/hour and we only have her 4 hours/week. Just do the math, around $2,280 for 30 hours a week if she would work the same hours as the au pair…
I hope I don't sound shallow, spoiled or something like that... my American friends probably would have no sympathy, but my Latin friends and family, that more likely grew up having maids, will understand a little bit better. It's just because labor is so cheap in Colombia, that middle class people can afford having a maid.
Many people have au pairs here, especially families with kids. Most of the au pairs in Denmark are from the Philippines.
The cartoon makes me feel a little bit better as our apartment is only perfectly clean on Tuesdays when the cleaning lady comes:

I feel your pain. It's going to be ugly when we move back to the states. Good luck with Danish!!!
ReplyDelete