Although my sister's wedding was nice, and it was more than nice to see my family, the trip to Colombia was stressful. I flew a week before the wedding with Lucas (Robert joined us later). We flew Copenhagen-NY (over 9 hours), waited 4 hours at the airport and then NY-Bogota (6.5 hours). Lucas behaved really well, took naps, watched his favorite DVDs, walked and crawled between the aisles, and ate plenty. I cannot complain about Lucas but I was over 24 hours without any sleep. Lucas had his own seat, and actually they accommodated us to have 3 seats for the two of us. We arrived to Bogota, and shortly after, Lucas became ill. At the beginning I thought it was allergy to new milk, he had vomit and diarrhea. Then we thought it was a virus because he had no fever. I kept talking to the doctor on the phone. During the wedding and the day after he got slightly worse and the doctor suggested taking him to the emergency room. He got tested and medicated. He had some kind of bacteria, poor guy. He got better as soon as he started the medicines. Then Robert got ill, probably from Lucas. He was really sick but didn't want to cancel the trip to the Caribbean Islands. When we arrived to San Andres, where we needed to catch a short flight to the other island, Robert was so dehydrated that the nurse at the airport put two bags of IV fluids on him and a shot to stop the nausea. Robert felt instantly better. We spent two days in Providencia, Robert was feeling better but not totally OK. As soon as we returned to San Andres we decided to go to the emergency room. It was obvious that Robert needed medication. He finally got better and we enjoyed the last two days of our short vacations. It's the first time that I visited Bogota that I didn't see any friends, go to my favorite restaurants, shop or party... Lucas was not only sick but my family was busy with "wedding stuff". It's hard to be so far away from family and friends, and never having enough time together…
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Trip to Colombia - Viaje a Colombia
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









I am so sorry both boys got so sick! But glad you were didn't get the bacteria, and you got to continue to the carribeans. Having no family around is hard I know. Friends can only do so much. And traveling is 10x more stressful. We really need a vacation from a vacation. Hope you are all back into the normal groove of things. besos.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that both Robert and Lucas were sick, but I'm glad they are both feeling better now. I know what you mean by never having enough time to visit with everyone and go to all the places you want when you go home. Hopefully you'll be able to get more things in the next time you go and everyone will be well!!
ReplyDeleteSounds sooo stressful! Glad to hear you are all doing better. There is nothing worse than having your baby ill. Good thing you didn't get sick too!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I never saw this post! You poor things. I can't believe how sick Rob and Lucas were. The picture of Rob with the IV is the worst! You guys look great though! The beach looks amazing!
ReplyDelete